Gustaf here. Still covering for Ben, who’s not back until next week. I know… but we can get through this together, I promise!
One big thing
It's Valentine’s Day. When we peek under the hood at Nudge data, we notice that consumers are spending 69% longer on quizzes during Valentine’s. Curious.
For more insights, such as the best time of day to advertise during the Feast day of Saint Valentine, give our Valentine’s Insights post a read.
Quick tip: split out your distribution by device types (independent of it being Valentine’s Day or just another day of the week) – it does make a difference.
Notable stories this week
- The online ad industry faces its identity crisis at IAB’s annual meeting. ‘A system that is out of alignment’.
- The digital media shakeout is coming.
- Hunting for ad growth, publishers target corporate social responsibility budgets.
- The FTC is cracking down on influencer marketing on YouTube, Instagram, and TikTok.
- Hilton and BuzzFeed partner to marry content + commerce to enable consumers to seamlessly plan and book vacations.
- Reddit partners with Tagboard to bring its content to TV broadcasts.
- Pinterest debuts verified merchant program after a 46% revenue jump, giving marketers another way to reach consumers who’ve expressed purchase intent.
- Verizon Media to sell JCDecaux inventory as outdoor interest increases.
- Spotify said to pay $250 Million for their acquisition of The Ringer.
Campaign of the week
- Filson on Atlas Obscura: '7 Spots to Strike Explorer’s Gold'. In this piece, you follow the footsteps of 100,000 prospectors to Klondike Gold Rush spots in the Yukon. Who hasn’t dreamed of stumbling across a big pot of gold!
- Pandora on Bustle: 'We set this couple a Valentine’s Day challenge to find out how well they *really* know each other'. A fun and interactive piece, which finishes with some gift ideas from Pandora – a nice tie in.
- Submit your own and view the best campaigns of 2020.
- "BuzzFeed's strength is building brands that drive action IRL. Tasty empowers millions of people to cook and try new recipes every day and now BringMe is inspiring young people to visit new places and explore new things," […] "Partnering with Hilton brings us even closer to our audience, and also makes it easier for them to make travel plans by booking directly. Through our shared consumer-first approach, we're able to provide utility for our audience in a new way." – Jonah Peretti, CEO at BuzzFeed.
Datapoints of note
- Influencer spend is on the up, but the industry has a trust problem with 96% of people in the UK saying they do not trust influencers.
- Instagram has reportedly smashed the prediction having generated a whopping $20 billion in advertising revenue last year – more than a quarter of Facebook’s overall revenue.
- Survey reveals 36% of Disney+ subscribers have left other streaming platforms.
Nudge is a dashboard for your content.
Nudge is built by marketers and aims to serve brands investing in content-based media, across any category, looking to illustrate ROI, generate deep performance insights, and save time.