Content retargeting is serving content ads to people who have already read your content. It’s a new tool in the content marketers toolkit and allows you to manage your content funnel a lot more effectively. Matching content to the buyers journey.
- Someone reads your thought leadership piece.
- You then retarget a summary of your industry research.
- For those that read that research you retarget some of your latest case studies or customer interviews.
- The intention being to shift someone closer to being ready to buy.
Treat it as a way to share content with your prospects. Rather than another banner ad, you can give them content which is helpful and gets them closer to buying.
Imagine the perfect buyers journey, this helps you to do that.
Does Content Retargeting work?
Here’s an example on the Nudge website. We took the our end of year summary, The Best Native Ads of 2015 and served them up as content units to those who had visited our site.
Retargeted users spent twice as long on the content as new prospects”
The content hadn’t changed but our audience had, this is a good reminder:
- People who have already visited, and then click again, are more qualified than first time visitors.
- People are familiar with your site, layout and what they’re expecting.
- Just because someone visited once, doesn’t mean they got all your bangers. So help get it in front of them.
Further it’s a smart strategy to leverage your paid content. Bring people in, add them to your retargeting audiences and move them down the funnel. Native is all about getting your content and your content funnel in front of fresh eyeballs.
Hollie-Blue Allum shared how this could be done using a Time Inc Lex Luthor execution.
What are the Content Retargeting Platforms?
Most native ad platforms have some sort of audience building option, where you can tag your content and then target ads to that audience. However there are three platforms with specialized offerings:
- Yahoo Gemini
How it works
You can then build a regular campaign targeting people that read that content.
- Leverage Nudge to understand which distribution is driving the best quality traffic.
- Add several steps to your funnel to ensure you’re moving people closer to conversion.
- Pace them out to match your typical purchase cycle, utilize frequency caps where possible so you aren’t over doing it.
- Track down-stream conversions