One big thing
I spent some time in LA this week, chatting with a cross-section of content creators. The consensus was that Netflix has been a net positive for the ecosystem.
One takeaway was how everyone is on the hunt for the next great content idea/series. Where and how can they get an edge on the next cultural moment? The competition and hunt for that (and data) is more fierce than ever.
It’s completely analogous to the competition for attention in branded content. That is the true threat today, cultural irrelevance.
Notable stories this week
- AdWeek Q&A threads this week were 👌
1. How would you describe the difference between an ad and branded content?
2. Can branded content be good content?
3. Is branded content maturing and getting better?
4. What are some of the biggest mistakes?
- Instagram will let advertisers promote posts from influencers.
- SoundCloud is launching new advertising formats in Europe. Including in-stream native.
- Google is retiring text-only ads and display-only units. Moving to a world of responsive first. A big move from them.
- Digiday digs into the new opportunities Sizmek creates for Amazon. And will Amazon buy Kenshoo or Marin off the back of this?
- AdExchanger explores the ramifications of ads put on a smart tv without the users permission.
- Tick. Done a mobile-stories based platform opens its own branded content studio.
- Spotify signs the Obamas to produce podcasts.
- Are we living in the post-measurement era? A good write up on a post-Nielsen world.
- Malware ads being served into Windows.
- [From us] Why context in premium environments dominate how we respond to content.
Campaign of the week
- Netflix on The Atlantic with a piece called ‘Introduction Coerced’, on how police interrogation methods lead to false confessions of the Central Park five. A great article created on the back of Netflix’s ‘When they see us on Netflix’ series.
- SunChips and Today teamed up ahead of the launch of SunPuffs. Together, they are bringing fans exciting content and a live event with the help of charismatic Mom duo, Cat & Nat, the force behind #MOMTRUTHS. Here’s one of their recent pieces ‘Moms: Reclaim your snack break’.
- Submit your own and view the best campaigns of 2019.
- "In an ad, the story helps push the brand. In branded content, the brand helps push the story." –Taanya Malhotra, Brand Strategist
Datapoints of note
- [For mobile] 67% of tested ads were processed within just 0.4 seconds. About 60% of desktop ad exposures are seen at 2-3 seconds.
- In 2020 the average daily time on Facebook will drop to 37 minutes.
- In 2019 time spent with media by US adults will average 12 hours, 9 minutes a day.
- Consumers spend more time on mobile than they do tv.
- Podcast spend to exceed $1b by 2021.
- Dynamically inserted ads (into podcasts) now account for 48.8% of podcast ads business.
Measurement and intelligence for content-first brands.
Nudge is built by marketers and aims to serve brands investing in content-based media, across any category, looking to illustrate ROI, generate deep performance insights, and save time.