Consolidation is in the air as the end of year looms and lots of data on how the native/content business is growing.
Notable stories this week
- Native still has (plenty) of room to grow.
- What if all that TV money isn’t coming? A great post by Mike Shields.
- Facebook to cut 55% revenue share with Indian video content creators.
- BuzzFeed covers on of the ad fraud masterminds.
- New Years predictions, from Australia. Give it a read, nice to see a different lens on the industry.
- An interview with Pressboard co-founder Jerrid Grimm.
- Mirroring Hearst UK last week, FT consolidates marketing services. And Condé follows suit.
- “Everyone’s for Sale”: A Generation of Digital-Media Darlings Prepares for a Frigid Winter.
- Related: Pros and Cons of BuzzFeed’s consolidation proposal.
- [From us] An interview with Joe Lazauskas, Head of Content Strategy, Executive Editor at Contently.
- Gear Patrol selling branded products.
- Uber Eats launches its promoted placement.
- Premium Content + Premium Audiences = Gold. Now, how do we do that?
- Bidstack signs contract to provide native in-game ads with Codemasters.
- United Airlines and the myth of ‘ad-free’ in Spotify premium.
- MightyHive sells to S4, proving the value of new media based services.
- The Players’ Tribune acquires Unscriptd.
- Mic sells to Bustle for $5m.
Campaign of the week
- “As a publisher, if you can’t clearly answer why your content is needed in the world, or explain why your distribution is sustainable or your advertising offering is really truly valuable and not easily replaceable, you are likely going to struggle,” he said. Agencies are simply doing their job of providing value to clients. –Neil Vogel, CEO, DotDash
Datapoints of note
- Native renewal rates up an average 40% in 2018.
- 473 new brands are adopting native each month.
- Native ads drive 15% greater purchase intent than display.
- Clients are paying Tenor (Googles GIF keyboard) between $100k and $500k for sponsored gifs. Tenor (at time of acquisition) had 12 billion searches/month for GIFS.
- ^ Talk about new horizon opportunities.
- Viacom expects advanced marketing solutions business to double in 2019, to around $686m.
- ACAST the Swedish podcast startup has over 3,300 podcasts that receive 125m listens per month.
- 360 degree video has a 46% higher completion rate.
- Big Data & Analytics for Marketing Summit – 12/11-12/12 in New York, New York.
That’s it, Happy Friday.
Been left hanging without data this week?
Nudge is a content marketing analytics platform that drives performance for leading brand advertisers and premium publishers.