Happy 2020 🙂 How was your break?
As you think about your content this year, getting more transparency in to how its performing, will help you see where you’re going.
And we now have a self serve, pay as you go model, for your owned content. Give it a peek.
(If you sign up, let me know, we'll add credit to the accounts of long time subscribers.)
One big thing
The Roaring Twenties will be all about creativity per Brianne Kimmel's note.
“The 2020s will foster a thriving creative scene like the Roaring Twenties.”
As we go from deep tech to creativity there is a new sense of disruption coming. New decade, new year, consolidation. All the right ingredients for a fresh batch of startups.
And her POV on this year, touches on the trifecta, democratizing design technology, the appetite of individuals to use it (and sometimes eat the cost) and content. If you aren’t on her newsletter do give it a peek.
Notable stories this week
- Branded content used in in-store digital displays, driving purchase. See more in datapoints of note.
- ^ This ties into my point around how branded content is going to integrate rapidly, digital/social/OTT/DOOH
- Behind the scenes of WattPad.
- Direct-sold ads were the brightest spot of revenue for publishers this year.
- China’s top trends in content + commerce.
- ^ Related, the major battle of the 2020 streaming wars will be over ads.
- What might 2020 bring for content marketing?
- Spotify to half political ads.
- The 10 Game-Changing Ad Tech Exits of the Decade.
- Why Google was the most important and unconventional brand marketer in the 2010s.
- [Long read] It is time to break up the Disney Empire. Read behind the headline though, as this is a good piece.
- [How stories are used to help organize the government] I asked my guide when they got funding for the program they were showing off, and he told me it was in the mid-1990s. To which I said, “Why then?” And he responded, “That was when the movie The Fugitive came out, so that’s when Congress finally understood what we do.”
Datapoints of note
- WattPad now has more than 80 million readers and 4 million active writers each month.
- “Serving up a variety of information, marketing and entertainment content, the displays generated a 10% gain for the café’s eat-in food sales during the 60-day test.”
- Spotify has 130m listeners on its ad-supported edition.
- The internet hit a half-century in October last year.
Nudge is a dashboard for your content.
Nudge is built by marketers and aims to serve brands investing in content-based media, across any category, looking to illustrate ROI, generate deep performance insights, and save time.