This Week in Native Ads 7/12
Ben Young | July 13, 2018
I was fortunate enough to catch the tail end of the ARF NATIVExSCIENCE event on Thursday, thanks for hosting me.
The trend that I picked up on is that branded content, entertainment are the slipstream from traditional tv through to digital. It’s the natural path that advertisers can take.
The traditional players of tv are coming in to the space and delivering high value quality executions.
And the summer of acquisitions continues…
Notable stories this week
- The Players’ Tribune on its viral formula and critics: ‘we’re not here to polish reputations’. A good long read for the week. Also insight in to how they’ve been leveraging the World Cup to break open international markets.
- Reddit is launching new branded content offerings, promote your reddit post, take the top spot on the subreddit. Neat.
- From Digiday, it’s summer, we’re all clocked out.
- BuzzFeed launches a Sunday night interview show. The intro on this is perfectly written.
- Using branded content to grow subscriptions.
- Hearst UK combines scroll and attention (like Nudge) as a metric for measuring the success of branded content. Ensuring that people are arriving AND paying attention, is the leading indicator of success by any downstream metric.
- The Telegraph has been bringing in sales guarantees in to the pitch. From crunching data from thousands of branded content campaigns and their pre- and post-analyses from the last five years, The Telegraph found that hitting certain content benchmarks will drive either awareness, consideration or propensity to buy. Based on post-campaign analysis the publisher found that an uptick in one of these metrics ultimately leads to driving sales.
- Google unveils new measurement partners this week. No real chat on branded content though.
- MediaMath raises $225m and plans to use it on acquisitions, aggressively over the next 9-12 months. Focus on three areas, identity, supply chain and AI. 🔥
- MediaMonks goes to Sorrell.
- IZEA acquires TapInfluence.
Campaign of the week
- Brand partnerships as branded content. Delta partnered with Equinox on Furthermore, the Equinox content platform. This is the new nativception. I like this piece, combining looking after yourself through pre-during and post flight. Sweatlag!
- Submit your own and then view all 2018.
Datapoints of note
- [On Print Media] Estimates indicate a drop of a massive 80 percent in the last three years alone, according to Publicis Media’s chief investment officer, Amer El Hajj.
- Users spend 16 minutes/day on Reddit.
- On average, 11,000 people on Substack are paying just under $80 per year.
- Native Institute is hosting Native Days this November. Use code NAIFRIENDBEN to save.
For a streamlined way to high quality branded content.
Nudge is a content marketing analytics platform that drives performance for leading brand advertisers and premium publishers.