A crisp edition this week – but big news on the Barstool Sports side. I'm out next week and following but you'll be in good hands with an edit from our own Gustaf.
One big thing
It’s Super Bowl week – and somehow I haven’t seen any of the ads (yet).
When we peek at Nudge data, we see that attention on all branded content goes up around the Super Bowl. The halo effect lifts boats for all brands as consumers are expecting or anticipating better than normal content.
An indicator of if anything, time and place still matter, even in a 'we can consume content 24/7' world.
Notable stories this week
- Scroll launches, enabling access to publishers ad free for only $5/month ($2.49 during the launch period).
- AVAST the antivirus company is going to stop selling user browsing data.
- Netflix’s ‘The Goop Lab’ is branded content.
- Fast Company and AC Hotels by Marriott partner.
- An interview with the CMO of Too Yumm on doing branded content well in India. Worth a listen.
- News Corps – Knewz launches.
- Craig Silverman shining the light on how OTT impressions are being masked inside other ad units.
- Barstool Sports sells stake, valuing the company at $450m.
- 'Google is WPP’s second-largest client, while WPP is simultaneously Google’s biggest client' –Mark Read, WPP CEO
- ^ An irony not lost on many.
Datapoints of note
- Nearly 2/3 of the videos on Amazon Prime Video are user-generated content.
- Vox media generates $10m in podcast revenues, aims for $20m in 2020.
- CPMs on opted out audiences are 50% lower.
Nudge is a dashboard for your content.
Nudge is built by marketers and aims to serve brands investing in content-based media, across any category, looking to illustrate ROI, generate deep performance insights, and save time.