One big thing
Marie Kondo is having her cultural moment, I read the book a few years ago – and subsequently went on a rampage through the house and my belongings ha. From a marketers perspective, it’s also a process worth doing, reviewing all the tools, systems, processes, partners and looking to simplify. In a world of growing spend, we’ve added more, simplifying helps everyone focus on the end result – better business outcomes. IF you haven’t caught it yet on Netflix, do check it out, or get the book here.
Notable stories this week
- P&G is shifting most of its media business to Carat. Related, P&G has saved $1b in ad costs over four years.
- BuzzFeed to lay off 15% off staff to help realign investments, in its march towards profitability.
- Joshua Carroll shines the light on the challenges in implementing guidelines for sponsored content. In this case church and state are separated but the paid content is specifically a response to negative news – causing conflict. Give it a read.
- Outbrain’s best native of 2018. And The Telegraph’s studio Spark shares their top work.
- The myth of being time-poor. Thoroughly enjoyed this.
- 37Signals ditches Medium to go back to the open web.
- Bing will now power all of Yahoo Search Ads.
- InPowered brings GDPR-compliant content amplification.
- [Long read] From The New Yorker, does journalism have a future?
- Sharethrough joins The Trade Desk’s unified ID solution.
- BeesWax raises $15m at a $77m pre-money valuation.
- Vox acquired the open-source publishing platform Coral Project. Publishers have had a crack at licensing their stack to mixed success in the past. What makes this different is, that paired with Concert, it brings tools to help generate revenue to the table.
- Cision buys TrendKite for $225m.
Campaign of the week
- MailChimp launches Wi-Finders, unscripted original documentary series. See all here.
- Submit your own and view the best campaigns of 2019.
- “I think the narrative around ‘native’ is moving to ‘custom’”. –Jessica Sibley, Forbes
Datapoints of note
- Sixty percent of CMOs will to cut their marketing analytics departments by 50% by 2023, due to a “failure to realize promised improvements”.
- Audiences are predicted to watch 20% fewer minutes of video ads per day, leading brands to embrace short-form video ads.
- The CMA summit 2019: Con-Tech-Tivity – 1/28 in London, UK.
- C3 – 5/6-5/8, New York, New York.
- ContentTECH Summit – 4/8-4/10, San Diego, CA.
That’s it, Happy Friday.
Need to reduce bounce rates in a pinch?
Nudge is a content marketing analytics platform that drives performance for leading brand advertisers and premium publishers.