One big thing
For the past few years growing digital attention has been taken for granted, that’s starting to change.
This week Facebook announced they are launching activity timers to help users manage how much time they are spending in FB + Instagram. Smart. Apple is doing the same on your phone.
If you were to stop thinking about CPMs and think about Cost Per Second. With a defined amount of digital attention each day, this is a likely outcome. Everyone will have to think about making best use of the attention they do get and work harder to get it.
Notable stories this week
- Amazon led Q1 in share of programmatic spend, making up 10% of the top 50 advertisers spend.
- Twitter forms a content creation department.
- Digging in to the insourcing trend. A leading global consumer goods company saw its on-time launch rate for digital campaigns jump from 20% to 83%.
- Chat stories, the new native?
- This tweet thread by David McCabe talking on the creativity and availability of solutions that US policy makers have to crack down on big tech. It’s an enlightening POV on how many solutions are at their hands.
Campaign of the week
- Slack starting your week strong with Quartz by changing how you think about the week. I like how each topic (for those that want it) is a link to an external non branded resource, i.e. How to build a better morning routine.
- If College Movies Were Honest, College Humor + XFinity. A funny take on the realities of college.
- “By algorithmically analyzing things like user demographics, geographics, the time of day, the time of year, and a whole bunch of other factors, artificial intelligence is going to paint a better picture for marketers when it comes to context” – Nick Worth, CMO, Selligent Marketing Cloud
- “Sixty percent of the the content brands are producing is not meaningful to consumers” – Maria Garrido, Global Chief Insights, Havas
Datapoints of note
- 12% of of influencers had bought fake followers in this Influencer Index study. Put another way, that’s 1 in 8 influencer, seems low really.
- According to a Sprout Social Study the top three challenges for social marketers are measuring ROI (55%), understanding cross channel social success (42%) and developing a strategy to support business goals at (39%).
- Digiday Content Marketing Summit – 8/6-8/8 in Vail, Colorado.
- Content Marketing World Conference and Expo – 9/4-9/7 in Cleveland, Ohio.
- DMEXCO – 9/12-9/13 in Cologne, Germany.
- Native Institute is hosting Native Days this November in Berlin, Germany. Use code NAIFRIENDBEN to save.
We’re hiring, see roles here.
For tracking attention across ALL your paid content campaigns.
Nudge is a content marketing analytics platform that drives performance for leading brand advertisers and premium publishers.