One big thing
Amazon is on the front foot for consolidating their ad buying into one place. Mirroring Googles moves, this in a way, is a signal towards a more competitive marketplace. Usability, clicks to buy, insights and buying close together, all are things on the way.
Notable stories this week
- [Must read, then read again] From Ted McConnell, what advertisers who represent $400b in ad spend want next.
- Mozilla continues experiments with recommended stories. Comments on HN worth a read.
- The future of integrated marketing, when influencer and branded content collide.
- UpWorthy undergoes layoffs.
- Social has gotten more difficult and other inside chat from the DigiDay Content Marketing event.
- A good Q&A with Adam Singolda of Taboola.
- Viacom is building a cross-portfolio studio production operation which is aiming to be a $1 billion global episodic content production business by 2020.
- This interview with Flipkart Senior Director of Marketing is good – speaking to the challenges of branded content.
- NBCU’s latest video idea, paying users. Seems like the early days of the internet again.
Campaign of the week
- Staples on Fatherly, sharing their survey results, which show that back to school shopping still mostly happens in-store.
- Amex on Equinox’s FurtherMore. Another brand integration with another brands content hub.
- [Twitter thread] NY Times faced decreased digital ad spend this quarter, from the variability of selling in ‘larger’ deals. Read Rafat's Twitter thread, he predicts layoffs later this year with bloated content studios.
- ^^ This signals the need for diversified, i.e. direct and non-direct content sales.
Datapoints of note
- Reddit has 138,000 active communities.
- More than 1000+ US Publishers still unavailable in EU.
- 87% of ad execs say they hold back spending on media and platforms due to poor measurement.
- Digiday Content Marketing Summit – 8/6-8/8 in Vail, Colorado.
- Content Marketing World Conference and Expo – 9/4-9/7 in Cleveland, Ohio.
- DMEXCO – 9/12-9/13 in Cologne, Germany.
- Native Institute is hosting Native Days this November in Berlin, Germany. Use code NAIFRIENDBEN to save.
We're hiring, see roles here.
Feel like your Content is seen not heard?
Nudge is a content marketing analytics platform that drives performance for leading brand advertisers and premium publishers.