One big thing
Amazon is on the front foot for consolidating their ad buying into one place. Mirroring Googles moves, this in a way, is a signal towards a more competitive marketplace. Usability, clicks to buy, insights and buying close together, all are things on the way.
Notable stories this week
- [Must read, then read again] From Ted McConnell, what advertisers who represent $400b in ad spend want next.
- Mozilla continues experiments with recommended stories. Comments on HN worth a read.
- The future of integrated marketing, when influencer and branded content collide.
- UpWorthy undergoes layoffs.
- Social has gotten more difficult and other inside chat from the DigiDay Content Marketing event.
- A good Q&A with Adam Singolda of Taboola.
- Viacom is building a cross-portfolio studio production operation which is aiming to be a $1 billion global episodic content production business by 2020.
- This interview with Flipkart Senior Director of Marketing is good – speaking to the challenges of branded content.
- NBCU’s latest video idea, paying users. Seems like the early days of the internet again.
Campaign of the week
- Staples on Fatherly, sharing their survey results, which show that back to school shopping still mostly happens in-store.
- Amex on Equinox’s FurtherMore. Another brand integration with another brands content hub.
- [Twitter thread] NY Times faced decreased digital ad spend this quarter, from the variability of selling in ‘larger’ deals. Read Rafat’s Twitter thread, he predicts layoffs later this year with bloated content studios.
- ^^ This signals the need for diversified, i.e. direct and non-direct content sales.
Datapoints of note
- Reddit has 138,000 active communities.
- More than 1000+ US Publishers still unavailable in EU.
- 87% of ad execs say they hold back spending on media and platforms due to poor measurement.
- Digiday Content Marketing Summit – 8/6-8/8 in Vail, Colorado.
- Content Marketing World Conference and Expo – 9/4-9/7 in Cleveland, Ohio.
- DMEXCO – 9/12-9/13 in Cologne, Germany.
- Native Institute is hosting Native Days this November in Berlin, Germany. Use code NAIFRIENDBEN to save.
We’re hiring, see roles here.