GDPR was always going to favor Google / Facebook, the whole genesis of it, incentivized those who had big sites and the ability for server side processing. All it did is shift the identification from cookies (something the user could control) to other means. Then – end users, are just clicking accept anyway. They have a choice but it’s like banner blindness, we all just bat away the pop up – as we want to see the content.
Notable stories this week
- This research on new content formats for Gen Z, watch the video.
- SnapChat has developed a private marketplace for brands to place content in specific shows.
- BuzzFeed News launches on its own domain with programmatic only monetization. My take is, that content will come.
- Bringing Branded Content Back to basics, a panel interview with Deloitte, WaPo and The Drum.
- B2B publishers reported content marketing as the most important source of ad revenue after banner ads.
- Data vs Creativity, the content studio lens.
- Viacom in talks to buy AwesomenessTV. Chat is at half of their 2016 valuation.
Campaign of the week
- 4 very easy ways to help solve our bee crisis, by Wedderspoon on MBG, on why bee health is so essential and how you can get involved.
- Play your heart out, Roger Federer with Wilson.
- “I do not believe in the future of native advertising. I believe that the future of advertising will be native.” – Juliane Sydow, Director at Axel Springer Brand Studio
Datapoints of note
- When ads.txt filters were not applied, 1% of display ad spend and 72% of video ad spend went to unauthorized programmatic platforms.
- Print advertisers down 13% January to April, shrinking from 172,155 advertisers to 151,825 advertisers. That means over 20,000 advertisers have shifted spend.
- 2,705 brands are running native ads monthly, and 188 new brands are buying content each month in 2018.
- 80 percent of online users report feeling overwhelmed by the number of ads they see.
- Digiday Content Marketing Summit – 8/6-8/8 in Vail, Colorado.
- Content Marketing World Conference and Expo – 9/4-9/7 in Cleveland, Ohio.
- DMEXCO – 9/12-9/13 in Cologne, Germany.
- Native Institute is hosting Native Days this November in Berlin, Germany. Use code NAIFRIENDBEN to save.
Thanks for reading – till next week,
For fueling your creativity through data.
Nudge is a content marketing analytics platform that drives performance for leading brand advertisers and premium publishers.