I loved this from the Native Advertising Institute, 100 women leaders in native advertising.
This week is pretty punchy, with a few datapoints of note. Recently I have broadened some of the stories (i.e. this week, Funny or Die swapping platforms to Vox). The reason is to provide more context on the drivers of change that are impacting native.
The market is figuring out who the leaders are, the growth pains are painful for those in it (including us) but ultimately a good thing.
Notable stories this week
- As branded content moves to the forefront, trust and accountability remain key. A chat with Hearstmade (Hearts content studio) and what they’re up to.
- Taboola plans to hire 400 new employees. Nice.
- Two engineers at Newsweek fired for running code that generated invalid traffic. Hmmm.
- FunnyOrDie to migrate to Vox platform. Smart. Ad sales next?
- Facebook’s branded content program loses its luster. Honestly never heard of this (and the campaign volume reflects it). What’s the value add of going to FB direct?
- Branded podcasts are the ads people actually want to listen to. Yes, as long as the brands know they need to invest to acquire the audience as well.
- The Content Industrial Complex, your long read of the week by Dena Yago.
- Gone native: ‘sharing’ my experience in return for a share of your cash.
- [From us] we’re sharing a sneak peek of our upcoming release, our video + social integrations.
- Bustle expands to the UK.
Campaign of the Week
- From my homeland, Is NZ ready for its $80b investment windfall? The Spinoff with Simplicity (NZ’s 401k). Great thought leadership, topic draws you in, and enhanced by the existence of the brand.
- Huck with Vans, I like this, video, photos, a great story of surfer musician Lee-Ann Curren.
- Welcome home by Spike Jonze, for HomePod.
- “To create content in partnership with an advertising client, we can’t just hire amazing creators. We have to hire amazing creators who can work within compressed timelines, change direction quickly, serve multiple masters, and be great client-facing collaborators on set.” –Lee Sosin, SVP of Hearst Magazines Digital Media
Datapoints of note
- Taboola predicts in excess of $1b in revenue in 2018.
- Centralizing of marketing data remains a top priority in 2017, with 48.1% of marketers wanting to dissolve the silos.
- 73% of respondents cited better insights and reporting deliverables from data sources and analytics as a challenge of programmatic ad management. -Emarketer.
- Nearly 280m people, or 85% of the US population go online each month. 16% exclusively access the internet via mobile.
- Adstage found Facebook CPMS increased 122% YOY in January, compared to 45% YOY. Driven by the newsfeed changes.
- Fox network has a goal to cut prime-time advertising time to two minutes an hour, from 13 at present. Commenter rightfully points out, rates would have to go up 600% to cover this lost revenue.
- 95% of Bustle’s revenue comes from direct display and branded content.
Thanks for reading, keep an eye out for our periscope this morning, follow @bwagy @giveitanudge, we’ll be discussing this and any questions you may have.
For figuring out WHAT to consolidate.
Nudge is a content marketing analytics platform that drives performance for leading brand advertisers and premium publishers. Request a demo.