Whilst Medium shutters ads WordPress.com is expanding theirs, their little known programme WordAds added video this week. Of course the scale is completely different but interesting.
Notable Stories this Week
- Programmatic native ads are growing – but banner habit is hard to break. My 2 cents – it’s too hard to buy programmatic native, make it easier more people will buy.
- Why 2017 will be the year of native content and engagement.
- Lousy ads are running the online experience. A good read from Walt Mossberg, not just another me too post.
- SnapChat to offer sequenced messaging. ‘What’s interesting here is that this becomes part of the DNA of a buy. You’re starting to think through a linear story or a progression that can be told in a couple of steps, which is quite a bit different than your typical execution that you’d see elsewhere in social.’ -> would love to see more of this in native.
- WordPress.com (yes that WordPress) launches video ads via their WordAds programme.
Campaign of the Week
- This is an interesting one, HBX (Harvard Business School Digital Learning) on Harvard Business Review, packaged as sponsored content. Consider HBR as a potential platform for your content!
- “Native is the only viable advertising solution for mobile.” – Patrick Keane, President at ShareThrough.
Datepoints of Note
- The Facebook Audience Network Now Serves Ads to 1 Billion People Each Month 83% of it is native.
Events & Webinars
- [Jan 26] Distribution Optimization: How to distribute content effectively.
- [Coming soon] Programmatic Native.