Trying a new section this week, gigs/jobs in the space, ping me if you’d like to add any. Hot topic this week is, what is the path to digital revenues for publishers? Replacing print advertisers fast enough.
The challenge here is most of the market are focused on existing digital revenue ala musical chairs, whereas only FB + Google are focused on helping traditional advertisers make the swap to online. I think this is still a big opportunity – and may be a solid part of the publisher equation. Not sure anyone in the native industry is doing this as yet.
Notable Stories this Week
- Apple is bringing in NBCU to help sell ads in Apple News..
- Digital businesses are growing, but not by enough to make up for print’s accelerating fall. Losing print advertisers and not gaining them fast enough online. Where is that spend going? Native is getting good growth from this sector. Read on NYT & Time Inc falling traditional ad revenue.
- LinkedIn makes more native inventory self serve.
Campaign of the Week
- TheKnot with Men’s Wearhouse – native content on an evergreen site like TheKnot is a great/interesting buy. As you have validated topics, idea of organic audience and also can support evergreen content.
- A kiwi (New Zealand) example, with NZHerald + Samsung, featuring Nudge friend Andy Hamilton. It shares the use case of how a busy exec uses his Samsung tablet. Also of how local publishers can leverage native for national/international brands.
- At the other end of the spectrum a luxury example, in partnership with WSJ how to justify your Netjets spend. I hope they got paid in contra on this one.
- This tweet looks at the significant decrease in Alexa rank of publishers that swapped to Medium. My take is that the decrease signals Mediums organic early adopter audience not having the toolbar on. But what that also means is that the publishers core audience (that was there before giving the rank) no longer is. Hmmmmm.
- Dan Greenberg at Inbound16 How would you prefer publishers make money? Millennials: 58% native ads, 21% banners, 4% subscription fees.
- Account Manager at Nudge.
- Freelance Branded Content Creator is in between projects and available for seasonal work. Contact us for details.
Events & Webinars
Both next week!
- [Nov 16] Native Advertising Days in Berlin. Use NADNUDGE for €100 off the ticket. Thanks Stine!
- [Nov 17] Native 101, a great starting point for peers new to the space.