With this continual focus of content, brands as publishers, more and more ad:tech will be now consumed by the brands direct, i.e. take a look at Chase.com they have News & Stories on the homepage. Tactics publishers use are now required client side.
Notable Stories this Week
- Goldman Sachs wades into branded content. Alongside their millennial focused Marcus launch, we can only anticipate content becoming front and centre of Goldmans comms.
- [More publishers on Google’s flex/native ads] The Daily Beast, eBay, Grupo Expansion in Mexico, Aller Media in Sweden and Trovit in Spain are also building custom ad experiences using Google’s component-based ads. Gannett expects to roll out its version in November.
- FlipBoard launches Twitter Moments/Snapchat Stories/Instagram Stories/Facebook Canvas ad product.
- Vox is launching a travel content site for Chase. Great to see publishers playing to their strengths here. The next question is – how do you measure success? Content is seen as the more effective (read: cheaper) way to acquire audiences.
- [Tactics] Watch outs in executing native advertising campaigns.
- Digital Trends, a Portland- based publisher (never heard of?) secured a $10M line of credit. They do 26M views?!
- “Our favorability increases [after people view its content rather than see a straight ad],” said Kaydee Bridges, VP, digital, social, social media, Goldman Sachs.
- Are Google Flex Frame Ads the end of the publisher-side ad server? Very astute observation and smart. Removing complexity, will help improve client-side ad load, rather than a mish mash of code loading.
Datapoints of Note
- FlipBoard has seen a 47% increase in time people spend reading articles and video in the last 12 months.
- Demand for native is up 262% in the last 19 months—for a total of 2,265 advertisers buying native in July.
- MediaRadar has tracked over 3,000 native ads for BP in the last four weeks.
Trends to Watch/Bleeding Edge
- Standardising native, Google is looking at it from a component perspective (as they should be), how to break apart those components. And publishers are having a lot of discussion on the native content end.
- [Nov 16] Native Advertising Days in Berlin Use NADNUDGE for €100 off the ticket. Thanks Stine!