Hi I’m Jess and I’m a Brand and Sales Associate here at Nudge. You’ve probably seen my name pop up in your inbox here and there. It’s only because I believe that Nudge is a tool that you’d find pretty useful! If you buy, create, or promote content you should seriously evaluate Nudge.
If you aren’t already familiar, Nudge is a measurement and intelligence platform for content first brands and their partners. We aim to serve buyers and sellers of media, looking to illustrate ROI, generate deeper performance insight, and save time. How? By…
- Focusing on post-click engagement by measuring content across the open web, within the “walled gardens” (Facebook, Instagram, Youtube), and across programmatic distribution networks
- Providing real-time metrics such as depth of scroll, Attention Minutes, conversions, and more.
- Reporting on quality of traffic from each distribution source,
- Providing industry specific benchmarks,
- Producing real-time insights and recommendations with an eye towards optimization.
I’ve put together this post to answer any questions that might come up. If you’d like some additional information, feel free to reach me at email@example.com
Table of Contents
Questions & Answers
What are the timeframes for implementation?
- Agreement set – typically 2-3 weeks. This largely depends on the client’s internal processes for sign off.
- Pixel implementation – 2 weeks. We work with your publisher partners to implement everything and suggest leaving some time for QA.
- First data – instant. Data streams in straight away, but we normally schedule a session after a weeks worth of data to go through it. During this session we like to give you insights based on your data as well as go over metrics and methodology.
Nudge is a pixel?
The payload is light, fast loading and we don’t redirect to external tools and/or create audiences ourselves for targeting, or use PII. This circumnavigates most concerns. What data is the clients, remains the clients. Nudge philosophy.
How does Nudge think about success?
- As with any new investment, buyers need to be clear on how bringing on a new vendor adds value to their current processes. The ultimate stress test for any vendor should be how it helps pay for itself and generate greater ROI. This is the biggest litmus test that Nudge holds ourselves to.
- Tangibles include improving content against benchmarks, improving the distribution, and (of course) end conversion rates. We start with the leading indicators, more attention and consumption of content, which will then lead to the downstream tangibles. Soft skills include using the product regularly, learning, and improving.
What are your hurdles to success?
- Our team optimizes towards:
- Time to first implementation
- Time to first week of data
- Understanding and interpreting the data
What is an optimal working relationship with your team?
- Once someone is up and going, this is what a good ongoing cadence looks like:
- Product updates once a month
- Monthly or weekly check in
- Once a quarter from partner
- Diving deep into a product feature or “becoming a nudge pro” session monthly: We take a cue from the client on this
Are there any limitations?
- In regards to our tracking limitation, we have an array of measurement solutions:
- Social apps for walled garden content
- Click redirects
- Impression/Click trackers
- VAST tags for video + plugins
- This comprehensive array gives us measurement options for MOST scenarios. The limitation comes when say a platform won’t accept any external measurement. The other limitation is if a content partner doesn’t accept independent verification – however that should be a red flag in 2019.
How much should I invest in content measurement?
- Over a quarter of the highest performing marketers are investing over 10 percent of their working media budget on performance measurement and analytics – three times the level of the rest of the sample. These trailblazers are 3 times more likely to say they will beat their sales targets by 25 percent or more. Read more here and here.
How do we justify spending such a big portion of our budget? Or how does Nudge pay for itself?
- Technology spend is trending towards over half of media spend. With the view of improving it.
- Increasingly marketers have very discrete audiences, so need the technology investment to make the most of every click.
- If Nudge can shift the dial 10% on conversion rates, it will pay for itself.
- Benchmarks dramatically increase the time to value, with insights gathered in the first week. These often yield at least a 30% improvement in distribution OR the content. We had one client, who found they were 80% below their peers. Allowing for a quick adjustment. OR a B2B client found that 60% of their distribution was leaving the content before seeing a call to action. Both tangible actions which led to immediate results.
- Long run, we find clients produce less content but get more from it. So we provide value on the content production side too.
- Save time on analyst hours, with insights and benchmarks. This is a tangible savings, freeing you up to spend more time on higher value activities.
- Work distribution budgets harder by finding the combinations that drive consumption. i.e. one B2B client found a pocket of their audience consuming at 5am (very NY) – so they adjusted their distribution towards that time of day. Same clicks but a better result.
- Optimize towards the right metrics. Optimizing based on the wrong (and in most cases, outdated) metrics can run any campaign into the ground. For example, we had a client using time on page. This didn’t show the real behavior (they thought it was 4 minutes, but it was actually 21 seconds) – as you can imagine this had a real impact on ROI.
- Terminology for more info on methodology
- Getting started guide for implementation
- Knowledgebase for further information about how to use the platform
- Matrix of our capabilities – it lives in a google sheet so that we can constantly update it
- Sign up to This Week In Native Ads
- Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of the latest pitch deck
- CEO of Nudge, Ben Young on Cheddar
- Click here to get some time on the calendar!
Content from our Website
These are some of the articles that will help you think about content, measurement, and the industry.
- How Branded Content Drives Business Outcomes
- The Measurement Problem Facing Modern Marketers
- How much should you spend on measurement?
- State of content
- Best examples (ongoing) of 2019
- Anatomy of Bots: A Real Life Use-case
- Killing Wasted Spend: How to Staunch the Bleeding of Digital Dollars and Reignite Growth
- How Nudge helps your Programmatic buying
*Bonus* Twitter threads