Google starts to put pressure on publishers with bad ad experiences ahead of its Google Chrome ad filter. Step in step with their native roll outs. Outtake, ad blocking has only really driven more revenue to the big guys. Even Facebook's desktop ad revenue stalled, till it started blocking the ad blockers.
Related Facebook makes moves to not bill for accidental clicks.
My outtake, the fight is on for incremental growth. The opportunity? New places where ads could go. i.e. the Google Places business posts is quite neat.
Notable Stories this Week
- Luma, evolution of digital measurement.
- Forbes focuses on speed. The fast rendering is nice, whilst they get heat for their institials, I like how open they are – around how they’re improving and what they’re focused on.
- UK agencies name branded content the number one marketing technique for retailers this Christmas.
- Facebook to stop charging for accidental clicks.
- ^ Great, we built a solution for this, as Facebook Audience Network in app as many as 70% of users were leaving straight away. The problem here is that you have wasted that click from that person.
- Google released a sales prospecting list for native advertisers, actually no haha, it’s a list of publishers that have ad experience issues, which may be impacted by future Chrome ad filter updates. But you know where that inventory is going to go…
- AdRoll & Taboola ink programmatic native tie up. Related, Snap/Adroll acquisition didn't pan out. Could this be an early sign of a Taboola acquisition, to help offset reliance on Criteo.
Campaign of the Week
- Slack on NY Times. A direct product pitch, not what you’d normally see from T Brand studio. Good from a technology company.
- 11 adventures you have to take with your dog this summer.
- “Brands Asked For Viewability When What They Really Wanted Was Engagement” – Yoav Naveh, VP Video at Taboola
Datapoints of note
- [On a survey of agencies, what one thing should brands do this Christmas] 42.9% of respondents named branded content as the preferred technique, followed with 28.6% saying Influencer campaigns.
- Norwegian division of MediaCom recently reported that its revenues increased by 23% due partly to the production and distribution of commercial content such as native advertising.
Thanks, we’re also on the hunt for Account Exec roles, if you know anyone please send them our way, and/or any retweets appreciated.
Introducing Nudge 3.0; we believe that marketers need an unfair advantage, and with our latest updates and feature set, that’s exactly what they’ll get. Learn more.