This Week in Native Ads 2/9
Ben Young | February 9, 2018
And we’re back, thanks to Ari for his takeover last week. If you missed it, give it a peek here.
I quite liked a couple of things, changing the flow, bringing image & video. We’ll embrace that a bit more.
This week we’ve seen how fast a business can unravel, with Newsweek uncovered for ad fraud. Nuts. But a cautionary tale.
We've just had our inaugural content dinner, with a series planned throughout the year. Let us know if you'd like to join.
Notable stories this week
- BuzzFeed & NBCU are teaming up for a new parenting channel called PlayFull. NBCU has been placing bets all over the industry, with Snap, BuzzFeed, Vox, Refinery and many more. Smart.
- Facebook held a webinar on how algorithm changes will impact news publishers. Ned Berke took screenshots and notes, sharing in this Google doc. The tldr; Facebook are going to really focus on real behaviour and attention. Thanks Ned!
- Facebook set to give local news a bump.
- And, from last Friday, BuzzFeed exposes how Newsweek & International Business Times have been engaging in ad fraud. Great work from Craig.
- ^NBC covered the flow on effect, 'Newsweek in disarray'.
- ^^ As a side note, in the last month Nudge has blocked 23.5m bots from campaigns we’re tracking.
- This is good, should vaping ads be regulated the same as cigarette advertising? Yes.
- Are the robots taking over? For the first time jobs in advertising have gone down.
- How to rock mobile native advertising.
- Justin Timberlake shares an undisclosed ad on Instagram, so it’s ok if celebs do it? Wondering if Facebook will take action.
- Bidtellect partners with Integral.
- Sharethrough celebrations 1b direct sold native impressions. Well done.
Campaign of the Week
- VMWare on Re:Think, Using smart technology to aid factory workers. Good example of pulling in The Atlantic audience with smart content and relating it to how VMWare can help.
- Netflix on Wired for Altered Carbon, beautiful imagery.
Datapoints of note
- Representing 5.1% of downloads, Spotify is the #2 podcasting platform. Shows how much Apple dominates.
- On Valentine’s, Consumers spend 69% longer on quizzes, Nudge data.
- [24th April] Social Media Week, NYC, with a branded content focus.
If you’re in Florida for the ANA, we’ll be in attendance if you want to say hi.
5.9 million bots blocked this week
Nudge is a content marketing analytics platform that drives performance for leading brand advertisers and premium publishers. Request a demo.