I end this week on the far side of the earth here in Wellington, New Zealand.
As native players in the US are contemplating dropping the word native (as it's the new normal) being in NZ, it's a good reminder many many markets are still adopting it.
Also, we’re hiring an Account Exec, if you know anyone send them our way, details here, even retweets appreciated : )
Notable Stories this Week
- [Following my commentary last week] Why Google’s Adsense Native ads are the tipping point for native ads. This analysis tips an extra $1b/year for Google.
- TheDrum launches a contributor content network to let brands publish direct to the network.
- Amazon launches Spark, its Pinterest/Etsy/Instagram app blend by engaging influencers. Our friend Jack Marshall thinks he can quit the day job within weeks.
Campaign of the Week
- Mom Sneaker Outfits, New Balance + Pop Sugar. These blended native/ecommerce are a great user experience.
- The Ultimate New Zealand Experience, National Geographic + Tourism New Zealand. Timely!
- “If Google and Facebook take more and more of the distribution dollars – they can provide really, really efficient and targeted reach – [then] the things that brands are coming to us for are these creative campaigns,” – Sebastian Tomich, SVP of Advertising + Innovation, NY Times
- “Everything has become performance,” … “Clients need to know that a brand-building effort led to a revenue outcome as well.” – Michael Kahn, CEO, Performics
- “The fact that Google entered the native ad market is an incredible testament to the level of performance native advertising can deliver for a brand“ – Kevin Flood, CEO, PowerLinks
- [Sums up the industry at the moment] “Safari will block autoplay video, Facebook is adding audio to autoplay video“. – Todd Handy, VP of Digital Media & AdTech at MarketStar
- Deadline for NativeAdAwards has been extended. Get ‘em in before the 4th.
On a final note, if you do find this valuable, please do forward to anyone else you think it may also help!