This Week in Native Ads 5/18
Ben Young | May 18, 2018
Gustaf is presently in Sweden, reminding me how great summer is. Hmmm I’m seeing a lot more rain than sun this week.
This week is relatively quiet on the news front, which is a nice change from the last few weeks – so I’ll do it justice and keep it short.
Notable stories this week
- Hearst announces Hearst Data Studio, an internal 20 person team that gives advertisers additional insights in to how Heart’s audience responds to ads.
- Amazon poised to launch new retargeting ad product.
- From Josh Sternberg, why native advertising and branded content works.
- How four executives are thinking about brand safety in 2018.
- Facebook’s big threat isn’t Cambridge Analytica, it’s advertisers questioning ROI. However, “for all Facebook’s problems, there aren’t many other places marketers can go to reach audiences that are as big or detailed as the Facebook’s own.”
- ^ From firsthand experience, this is the biggest change, putting the spend under the microscope.
- [From us] We interviewed Nicholas Jackson, formerly of The New York Times & The Washington Post, turned consultant, on the creative processes for custom content campaigns, data’s role in the creation process, the industry’s biggest opportunities/challenges and more.
- ^ A must read.
Campaign of the Week
- "There is no such thing as a “Business” engaging with custom content – it will be another person – thus a “B2B” campaign needs to still speak to people and connect / inspire in a unique way.” –Nicholas Jackson, Creative Director & branded content specialist
Datapoints of note
- 42% of consumers who discover brands on Facebook are likely to go on and complete their purchases on Amazon.
- 26% of consumers associate the word ‘fake’ with social.
- ^ Three-quarters of respondents also said the rise in fake news has made them more likely to seek out quality, trustworthy news sites.
- [The State of Content] Every stat you could possibly need for articles, pitches, and more.
- [May 31] Post-memorial weekend dinner join us.
- [June 4] AdMonsters Ops conference in NYC is coming up.
If we’ve missed any events, please do submit them.
For transparency in your content
Nudge is a content marketing analytics platform that drives performance for leading brand advertisers and premium publishers. Request a demo.