This Week in Native Ads 4/6
Ben Young | April 6, 2018
I’m back from a brief break.
The Facebook narrative has continued (with not much really changing – just more of the same). Following Firefox’s cue, we have paused our Facebook ads – and actually been delighted with the performance on alternatives (Twitter/Google). I’m sure plenty of marketers are doing this right now.
Also, I liked this from Recode, here’s who owns everything in big media today.
Notable stories this week
- LinkedIn launches native video ads. When paired with matched audiences this looks like a solid offering for B2B brands. Nice.
- [Long read] Digital marketing paradigms at war.
- Google is evolving its revenue metrics to impression based, a sign of the shift from a CPC model.
- Facebook now automatically turns your ad assets into full screen Instagram ads. And advertisers cautiously optimistic after Facebook says it’s pulling third-party targeting data.
- TechCrunch digs in to how Spotify, now publicly trading, can improve their ad offerings. My request – more Stranger Things executions ha.
- Travel and automotive industries are keeping native ad spend alive – the latest from Nativo's own analysis.
- TripleLift launches ContentDial their Pressboard competitor.
- Gartner suggests content marketing as a term will be redundant within 3 years. Not wrong.
- Tronc launches Content Studio, Studio 1847. Named after its namesake brand the Chicago Tribune.
- How Refinery29 uses its editorial staff to stand out for advertisers.
- Native Advertising Institute rolls up the 2018 landscape again. Vendors growing from 272 to 402.
- Nativeception, Turner Ignite + AdWeek dig in to why brands should care about emotion on social media.
Campaign of the Week
- Destination Canada + Bon Appétit, A Cyclist’s Guide to Ottawa’s Culinary Scene. This piece had me at ‘Old Fashioned’.
- Henry Rollins in partnership with Mercedes travels across Australia – focused on Tough Conversations.
- Pioneering Spirits, Lexus & CNN takes a look at four men who are driving innovation at Lexus.
- Our own Ari Levine shares some campaigns that hit a nerve.
- “Sponsoring long-form I think is the way most people would be doing better. You have a lot of clients who are very, very anti taking risks because its a difficult space. I mean creating — it takes guts to out there and say something meaningful.” –Leslie Ali Walker, ECD, JWT
- "People are naturally skeptics. If your content feels disingenuous, they will likely skip or ignore it altogether." –Annie Granastein, Head of WP BrandStudio
Datapoints of note
- UK Email Marketers are returning £32.28 per pound spent.
- While viewing branded influencer videos, 93% of the time consumers’ eyes were locked on the content; this is 30% higher than the experience viewing a brand pre-roll ad.
- ^ This high attention correlated to 2x higher levels of brand recall.
- Stash saw more than 5% of sponsored content readers made a deposit (i.e. converted) in their recent programme.
- Chrome's mobile article recommendations up 2,100% in one year. Driving as many visits as Twitter.
- Nativo's 2017 Share of Native Ad Spend.
- [May 7] IAB Video Symposium.
- [NY Content Dinner] We’re hosting another content dinner next week. Ping me if you’d like to join us.
Identify the impact of Facebook's third party data to your clicks
Nudge is a content marketing analytics platform that drives performance for leading brand advertisers and premium publishers. Request a demo.