I was chatting with a smart marketer earlier this week, who was was saying the industry is over indexed on targeting but under indexed on accountability.
^ He’s not wrong!
Next week I’ll be taking a break, as I decompress with the family. So catch you, till then enjoy this week in native.
Notable Stories this Week
- Some food for thought from PSFK, why advertising is more from digital to experience first. 80% of global audiences say online advertising hasn’t gotten any better with time, on any device or platform.
- Apple announced Sponsored Content (native) ads coming to Apple news. Via their Publisher newsletter.
- Rodale (MensHealth) announces partnership with FitBit, creating The Adventurist. And The Boston Globe partners with Pfizer on a series called Dear Scientist.
- In a what mimics Adwords & Facebook (by rewarding the best quality advertising) Fusion media gives bonus impressions to the best content. This is a subtle change but super smart – and should be more widely adopted.
- CMOs are not happy with programmatic, via DigiDay at the ANA in Florida. ‘Marc Pritchard, chief brand officer for P&G, said the company’s new programmatic and brand-safety approach is eliminating “the long tail” of ad buys that are cheap but put brands in front of bot farms.’
- Taboola receive TAG independent verification to provide brand safety.
- Flipboard opens up self signup for Publishers.
- BuzzFeed launches two native ad products, to buy branded quizzes and promote to their audiences. BuzzCut to re-use tv assets across BuzzFeed's properties.
- Time Inc embraces DoubleClicks native stack with their adapt video execution. Google's native stack is building momentum.
- LinkedIn launches sponsored video.
Campaign of the Week
- E*Trade on WSJ, How traders maintain discipline and sharpen their skills. Good piece, well targeted and perfect for potential E*Trade customers. I like the little surveys mid way through, which are immediately responsive.
- The CTR on the first banner ad was 44%. Hat tip to AdMonsters. Wow!
- CNN has grown native ad placements 300% since it enabled ShareThrough distribution platform.
- 60% of CNN Internationals revenue comes from branded content.
- 91% of global audiences say ads are more intrusive today than 2-3 years ago and 79% feel like they’re being tracked by retargeted ads.
- The Native Advertising Days is upon us next month, between 8-10 November.
We’re also on the hunt for a Publisher Account Executive, so if you know anyone, please send them our way.
Introducing Nudge 3.0; we believe that marketers need an unfair advantage, and with our latest updates and feature set, that’s exactly what they’ll get. Learn more.