Thanks to Mel for taking over last week, if you missed it here’s a link.
Back in action, AdWeek is on here in NY – so panels a plenty.
One big thing
A decentralized web – Tim Berners-Lee wants it to come back the other way from where central platforms hold your data. To where everyone keeps a wallet of their private date. If you squint – it’s an extrapolated (and supercharged) Apple Keychain. If this idea does scale you can envisage Apple can and will push it.
Notable stories this week
- The hidden costs of branded content (for pubs).
- Publishers are expanding their content studios to do more agency work.
- [Long read] Tim Berners-Lee plan to embrace a decentralized platform. This sounds a lot like a supercharged ‘Apple Keychain’. But I like it.
- MediaMath demanding more transparency from their supply partners.
- CNN launches CNN Business and shutters CNN Money.
- Advertisers pull back from Barstool Sports and Unlidad goes into administration.
- YouTube adds more calls to actions on video, in the path to driving more business outcomes from content.
- Atlas Obscura launches branded tours for Chase Sapphire cardholders. This actually seems like a really neat perk.
- In an upcoming episode of Black Mirror on Netflix users will be able to pick their own storylines.
- XO Group to go private, a sign of continued consolidation in the media space.
Campaign of the week
- Uber + Re:Think Original, on how Uber develop its newest products and features. For the ride-sharing giant, it’s all about empathy.
- To celebrate their 40th birthday, UGG's released The Official UGG Hypebook on Complex.
- EMarketer predicts Pinterest will do $500m in revenue this year, growing to $1b by 2020.
- An Axel Springer study found 46% of German consumers expected Facebook to become less popular in the future.
- Reddit hits 1b views.
- Branded video makes up 27% of Facebook's entire branded content space. Photos make up 73%.
- Content Jam – 10/9-10/10 in Chicago, Illinois.
- Programmatic I/O – 10/15-10/16 in New York, New York.
- Native Institute is hosting Native Days this November in Berlin, Germany. Use code NAIFRIENDBEN to save.
Final note, Simon Harris new newsletter is spot on for more of the programmatic side, check it out.
Know which storylines to back.
Nudge is a content marketing analytics platform that drives performance for leading brand advertisers and premium publishers.