Thanks to Mel for taking over last week, if you missed it here’s a link.
Back in action, AdWeek is on here in NY – so panels a plenty.
One big thing
A decentralized web – Tim Berners-Lee wants it to come back the other way from where central platforms hold your data. To where everyone keeps a wallet of their private date. If you squint – it’s an extrapolated (and supercharged) Apple Keychain. If this idea does scale you can envisage Apple can and will push it.
Notable stories this week
- The hidden costs of branded content (for pubs).
- Publishers are expanding their content studios to do more agency work.
- [Long read] Tim Berners-Lee plan to embrace a decentralized platform. This sounds a lot like a supercharged ‘Apple Keychain’. But I like it.
- MediaMath demanding more transparency from their supply partners.
- CNN launches CNN Business and shutters CNN Money.
- Advertisers pull back from Barstool Sports and Unlidad goes into administration.
- YouTube adds more calls to actions on video, in the path to driving more business outcomes from content.
- Atlas Obscura launches branded tours for Chase Sapphire cardholders. This actually seems like a really neat perk.
- In an upcoming episode of Black Mirror on Netflix users will be able to pick their own storylines.
- XO Group to go private, a sign of continued consolidation in the media space.
Campaign of the week
- Uber + Re:Think Original, on how Uber develop its newest products and features. For the ride-sharing giant, it’s all about empathy.
- To celebrate their 40th birthday, UGG’s released The Official UGG Hypebook on Complex.
Datapoints of note
- EMarketer predicts Pinterest will do $500m in revenue this year, growing to $1b by 2020.
- An Axel Springer study found 46% of German consumers expected Facebook to become less popular in the future.
- Reddit hits 1b views.
- Branded video makes up 27% of Facebook’s entire branded content space. Photos make up 73%.
- Content Jam – 10/9-10/10 in Chicago, Illinois.
- Programmatic I/O – 10/15-10/16 in New York, New York.
- Native Institute is hosting Native Days this November in Berlin, Germany. Use code NAIFRIENDBEN to save.
Know which storylines to back.
Nudge is a content marketing analytics platform that drives performance for leading brand advertisers and premium publishers.