[Via Twitter] Hunter Walk shares early data on his Medium earnings. Reminds me of the early days of Kindle Lending, where there was a fixed pool of cash divided by not many reads, so each was worth a lot more. Keen to see how this unfolds. As a reminder, here’s more on Mediums pivot away from ads.
Notable Stories this Week
- This is a great interview with Troy Young from Hearst, give it a full read.
- Apple changes rattle the industry, I commented here, and DigiDay also covered it.
- Microsoft offers collection of highest performing apps in their premium ads product.
- Multimedia/rich newsletters are in vogue.
- Brand safety in the real world OR how AR kit is a brand safe environment.
- On how native is playing out in Russia. ‘Russian journalists have a somewhat negative perception of brands. Mentioning a company or a product, which is very natural in U.S. or European media, often is seen as unacceptable in Russia. This creates an opportunity for brands creating content. Native ads and branded content can combat the editorial filter of journalists’ perception’.
- [Overheard at Digiday Moguls] “I make more money off a Facebook Live video with 200,000 views than a viral Facebook video that does 50 million views. It’s because I can direct sell an integration on the Live video.”… “I can monetize a video at a $30 CPM on my site. On Facebook, it’s 15 cents. [Facebook] could increase the monetization 10 times, and it’s still not interesting to me. I don’t know if that’s a sustainable business.”
- AOL Platforms CTO Seth Demsey joins Revcontent.
- TVGuide adds three new native ad formats.
- A great op-ed from Simon Hayhurst at Rocket Fuel: Instead of Just Serving People Ads, Let’s Try Ads that Serve People.
- [From us] We’ve written about how to use email newsletters to up the quality of your campaigns, in our latest blog series called ‘Native Tactics’. And Forbes Claire Robinson shares her tips on making headlines work harder.
- Programmatic platform Centro integrates with Sharethrough.
Campaign of the Week
- From our favs, Skift + IBM. From novelty to game changer, AI and the future of work in the travel industry.
- ^ But please Skift, turn off the overlay on the content!
- [Nativeception] Autotrader on TheDrum talking to automotive marketers.
- ”Long-form is interesting to a brand because it gives them the chance to have a conversation with people over a much extended time frame” –David Hunstone, Hub CEO
- “Snapchat has roughly more intelligence around real-time video consumption than anybody on the planet.” –Troy Young, President, Hearst Digital Media
Datapoints of note
- [Smaato data] Q2 video ad spending was up 142% over Q1. And native advertising grew 50% q/o/q.
- Facebook branded content in the UK is estimated to be worth over £100M per year.
- [Sep 27, New York] Native Forum at AdWeek, speakers include John Nardone, Flashtalking on personalization of native, Disney, Turner Ignite, TTD, Vice and Conde.
Introducing Nudge 3.0; we believe that marketers need an unfair advantage, and with our latest updates and feature set, that’s exactly what they’ll get. Learn more.