Hello 2018 and a happy new year to you!
The outtake, as Casey Newton puts, we’re about to find out who has audiences vs traffic. i.e. who has a loyal following and will actually seek them out.
A few other outtakes:
– Facebook traffic quality has been dropping anyway.. so whilst less traffic, quality *could* rise
– CPCs will go up
– *Actual* virality may be a thing again on FB
– It’ll also drive brands to use FB / Insta influencers more, as well as drive adoption of Facebooks own influencer tools.
– This will impact FB video branded content arbitrage.
Read about it in the NY Times.
Notable stories this week
- IAB outlook for 2018, worth a read. Brand safety, transparency, ROI.
- This is the data Snapchat doesn’t want you to see.
- Sharethrough announces new CRO, Dina Roman.
- PressBoard’s Best Branded Content of 2017.
- FTC tests how blurred the ad lines are.
- How publishers are approaching native advertising creation & sales.
- Confirming that more investment = more reach, Shareablee finds branded content ads get more earned impressions.
- Q&A with Eric Hippeau on where is media going, especially near term trends, pretty good read.
- Viacom acquired Whosay to scale its branded content operation.
Campaign of the Week
- Where we drove and why, with Waze on T Brand Studio. I’m a sucker (and this sounds weird read out loud) for data driven content ha. Here’s a fun data point: “You’d expect more people to hit the gym in January — and Waze users did. But they also made 14% more trips to fast-food restaurants at the end of December, compared to the previous four weeks.”
- “Publishers can stay ahead of algorithms and create growth alongside platforms by focusing on what they do best: using branded content and native ads to place brands alongside trusted content,” –Kelly Andresen, Get Creative, USA Today
Datapoints of note
- Sharethrough reported $250m (self reported) revenue in 2017.
- USAToday’s branded content sales has grown 40% YOY 2016/17.
- [24th Jan] PulsePoint + Gemini are doing a webinar on native & content marketing.
- [26th Jan] Webby entry deadline is coming around fast week; ICYMI: there is a branded content section.