The best practices are to:
1. Ensure you have a clear strategy, and have linked what metrics are relevant to delivering on that strategy.
2. Have set up your analytics to reflect this. And had it QA’d.
3. Have set up a good reporting cadence to stakeholders.
4. Understand how your content marketing drives business objectives, and can articulate that.
5. Check the data frequently, you could pin the tab, to see how it is performing.
6. Have a work stream or process to go back and improve content once you have data on its performance.
7. Have your own internal scorecard, for performance of each piece of content.
8. Everyone on the team understands the strategy, strategic metrics and what the metrics mean.